Friday, November 18, 2011

Kente Cloth Reflection Part 1


Assessing Prior Knowledge:

To assess students’ prior knowledge I would ask students if they knew what Kente Cloth was and what it was used for. From assessing students’ prior knowledge, I would expect to learn how much they know about Kente Cloth. This knowledge would help me to know what I need to teach to my students.

Plans Instruction:

My objective for the students is to learn about what Kente Cloth is, what it is used for, and to create their own Kente Cloth with patterns. This objective is appropriate for students because each students is capable to learn about Kente Cloth and each student can make their Kente Cloth to their own ability. Students can make their Kente Cloth as simple or as complicated as they like. This is aligned to state standards because 2nd graders need to learn about other cultures and be able to describe elements of the culture such as food, dress, and customs.

Designing Instruction:

My lesson is logically organized. First I review with the students what the Homowo Festival is, which they learned the day before. Next, we learn about Kente Cloth, see examples of what Kente Cloth looks like, and then students get a chance to make their own Kente Cloth on the computer, using Pixie. My lesson also meets the various needs of each learner in my classroom. My powerpoint about Kente Cloth is both a visual tool and an auditory tool. I will be elaborating on each slide. Allowing students to create their own Kente Cloth appeals to students’ creative side and also gets students involved in their learning with the computer. Finally, my lesson addresses global awareness by introducing a topic related to other cultures.

Planning Assessment:

My assessment will occur informally. I will walk around the classroom making sure that students are understanding how to create their own Kente Cloth using patterns and bright colors. The creation of the Kente Cloth will show students’ understanding in a custom of a specific culture which is the standard that this lesson is meeting. Students can engage in higher order thinking by choosing which colors they want in their Kente Cloth. My informal assessment by walking around the room meets the individual needs of the students

No comments:

Post a Comment